When you shine, darkness fades

Blog#8 Principles of Learning and Augmented Reality

Where do you see AR in future classrooms?

Augmented Reality(AR) technology is a technology that skillfully integrates virtual information with the real world. It widely uses a variety of technical means such as multimedia, 3D modeling, real-time tracking and registration, intelligent interaction and sensing to simulate and apply the computer-generated virtual information such as text, image, 3D model, music and video to the real world, The two kinds of information complement each other, so as to realize the “enhancement” of the real world.

At today’s stage, AR has not been promoted in education because of the expensive equipment. Now only a few games use this technology and have won unanimous praise.But in my opinion, the high cost can not stop the rise of AR in education in the future, because its benefits far outweigh equipment investment. For example, under the influence of COVID-19 today, although Uvic has opened some online courses, many experimental courses can not be carried out through the Internet. Students have no access to equipment, so it is impossible for them to know how to use them. However, with AR technology, we can directly see the three-dimensional structure of experimental equipment at home, and even do labs with these projections.

In addition, when students see a globe or geographical drawing in geography class, plane description can not let students fully understand various geological structures. But imagine that after wearing AR equipment, students can observe three-dimensional terrain at a close distance, which is undoubtedly a great improvement in the quality of learning.

In general, although AR is not yet popular, because it can bring great changes to education, AR will be applied in various courses in the future.

Maybe this TED presentation can help you understand how AR will change the education.

1. peterkim

Hello Yue. After reading your blog, I learned about the application of AR in learning. I feel the revolution that technology has brought to the education world. I think this change is in line with the trend, and it is also a benefit for the instructor, because the teacher can assist the teaching with more vivid examples. However, I think in many areas with uneven development, many students cannot use AR devices. What is your opinion on this issue?

2. haoran

I agree that AR is not popular yet, but it can bring great changes to education, and AR will be applied to various courses in the future. Because AR can teach knowledge in a three-dimensional way, this can allow students to understand the teaching content more intuitively and clearly.